Our last blog post asked “Are you drinking too much” and we were, of course, referring to alcohol. Today we ask “Are you drinking enough and, sadly, we are not talking about alcohol this time, we are talking about water!
Well, the general rule that we hear all the time is approx 2 litres per day which is 4 small (500ml) bottles of water or approx 8 glasses of tap water. I haven’t seen any hard evidence to back up this number of 2 litres every day but I’m not a scientist and this post is, obviously, not going to be very scientific either!
So, let’s go with 2 litres every day, why not? it’s a good number and I’m willing to bet that not many of you reading this article are hitting 8 glasses of water every day anyway! (I’m happy to be be proven wrong of course!)
So, how can you start to get through 8 glasses of water each and every day?
1. Have a big glass of water by your bedside when you go to bed, you can sip from it in the night should you wake up feeling thirsty and when you wake up in the morning roll over, sit up, plant your feet on the carpet and finish off whatever is in your glass.
2. Take a small bottle of water on your journey to work and keep sipping throughout. Chances are by the time you’ve got to work you’ll have almost finished that and then you are probably near 3/4 litre before you have even sent your first email.
3. Have a litre bottle of water on your desk/in your office/about your person throughout the day and make it your goal to finish it off before you leave for home.
4. If that’s not practical, get up from your work on the hour every hour and have a small glass of water.
5. Have a glass of water as soon as you get in from work, before your evening meal, and then you are pretty much there. If you add in water that is contained in your food and other drinks that you may have had during the day then, at this point you will have nearly hit your 2 litre mark!
If you are exercising that day then you will, of course, need to take on extra water but that should just happen naturally as you work hard and sweat you will instinctively drink more water.
Three Benefits of Drinking Water
1. Our brain is made up of approx 75 % water, so drink more water, think more clearly! You’ll be more alert and on the ball to make whatever decisions you need to make throughout your day.
2. Your muscles will stay hydrated you will not only be more alert mentally but physically too.
3. Water can help to flush out harmful toxins from your body.
There are so many more benefits but I’m going to leave you with a paragraph from the NHS website :
“Water makes up over two-thirds of the healthy human body. It lubricates the joints and eyes, aids digestion, flushes out waste and toxins, and keeps the skin healthy”
Keeping this in mind why wouldn’t you want to hit your 8 glasses of water each and every day?
Try to adhere to my 5 points from this post and let me know how you get on……………………